Next: About this document ...
Joshua D. Boyd
89 Marticville Rd., Apt. #4
Lancaster, PA 17603
- Wide range of skills and interests
- Passion for programming, video, and music
|| ||Apr. 2003 - Present
|| ||East Petersburg, PA
- As lead software engineer, I was responsible for the
development and production of the following:
- Software, including a real time video scene change detector, for
an automatic digital audio and high definition video delay
compensating system that won two awards at NAB2005
- Linux driver for a custom PCI AES digital audio card
- Wrote software for in-circuit JTAG flash programming.
- Ported eCos from a reference design to a custom SH3 board
- Wrote interrupt driven serial port and flash drivers for eCos.
- Wrote serial communications code, using a
packet based network over RS485, for a serial control board,
digital audio mixer and digital audio delay board.
products are now in use by Turner, NBC Burbank, Laser Pacific,
- I manage the IT department. Prior to that I performed system
administration tasks including:
- Setting up and running CVS and Bugzilla
- Installation of a NetBSD NAT/firewall device
- Installation of a OpenBSD network traffic shaping system
|| ||Jun. 2001 - Apr. 2003
|Armstrong World Industries
|| ||Lancaster, PA
- Wrote software to report laboratory test results using Excel
and Visual Basic for Applications
- Replaced paper report distribution by generating Acrobat files for distribution
- Wrote a test lab report management system to replace a legacy
- Migrated the legacy Access 2.0 programs for conformance to corporate standards
|| ||Jan. 2000 - Aug. 2000
|| ||Lititz, PA
- Debugged and updated the replenishment system in Visual Basic and SQL Server
- Replaced a paper transport process with a system in Visual Basic to move data from the replenishment system to remote warehouse management systems
- Corrected and maintained documentation in accordance with the FDA GMP regulations
I run jdboyd.net.
- jdboyd.net is a co-located Sun Ultra 5
- Solaris 9, Apache, Postfix, Mailman, Dovecot, Postgres, Mysql, ipf, DSPAM
- Shell server to support free software porting and testing including people working on:
- Asterisk (a PBX), STKlos (scheme language), Icarus Verilog (verilog simulator/synthesizer)
I run a small test lab including:
- Mac OS X, Irix, Solaris, Linux, Mac OS 8
- MIPS, UltraSPARC, Intel, PowerPC
- Gigabit ethernet, FDDI, Fast ethernet
|| ||Millersville, PA
|B.S. in Computer Science, December 2002
|Departmental Honors, Spring 1999
As a research project my senior year, I implemented a framework for
developing haptic simulators in C++.
The framework provided:
- A retained mode scene graph rendering engine
- Model loading from 3DS files and Wavefront .OBJ files
- Collision detection and force feedback calculations to drive a
haptic laparoscopic surgical simulator
- Roger Webster, R. Haluck. G. Zoppetti, A. Benson, J. Boyd, N. Charles,
J. Reeser, S. Sampson, "A Haptic Surgical Simulator for
Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy Using Real-Time Deformable Organs",
Proceedings of the IASTED International Conference on Biomedical
Engineering (BioMED 2003), June 25-27, 2003, Salzburg, Austria.
- Roger Webster, R. Haluck, D. Hutchens, G. Zoppetti, A. Benson,
J. Boyd, N.Charles, D. DeSanto, J. Reeser, S. Sampson,
"Integrating Haptics into an Undergraduate Computer Science
Curriculum", National Science Foundation (NSF) Instrumentation
and Laboratory Improvement Program Poster Exhibit, National ACM
SIGCSE Conference (ACM/SIGCSE '2003). Sponsored by the Association
of Computing Machinery and the Special Interest Group on Computer
Science Education (ACM/SIGCSE), Reno, Nevada, February 19 - 22, 2003.
- Roger Webster, Ph.D., Randy S. Haluck, M.D.,
Betty J. Mohler, Jeremy Sheaffer, Jon Reeser, Joshua Boyd,
Aaron Benson, David DeSanto, "A Surgical Simulator for
Multiple Skills in Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy", Poster
presentation at the Medicine Meets Virtual Reality Conference,
Newport Beach, Ca., January 22-25, 2002.
- Lanniece Freeman, W.B. Murray, S. Vaduva, R. Webster, J. Boyd,
D. Jensenius, "3D Anatomy Tutorial Template: A New Teaching
Method Using Virtual Reality", Poster presentation at the Annual Society
for Education in Anesthesia Conference, Washington, D.C., May 19-29, 2000.
Next: About this document ...